Click to Call and Quote Them All
Click to Call and Quote Them All

Homeowners Insurance Claimants Are Happier When Using Agents

Homeowners Insurance AgentsPost Date April 11, 2013 - As all Pennsylvania Homeowners are aware of, you may purchase your Renters or Homeowners Insurance two different ways.  You can either call a Homeowners Insurance Company direct or you my contact an Independent Agent or Broker. Although the Direct Homeowner Insurance Companies claim their rates are cheaper, that never seems to matter once the homeowner needs to file a claim. When you need to file a Homeowners Insurance Claim and you don’t have an agent or broker – who do you talk too if you have a problem or don’t understand complex insurance claims issues.

Homeowners Insurance buyers have a better claims experience when policy is purchased  from an agent

A  2013 Homeowners Insurance Property Claims Satisfaction Study from the J.D. Power and Associates shows policyholders who filed a homeowners insurance claim through an independent agents were much happier than those whom purchased their policy direct writer like GEICO, Liberty Mutual and Amica.  This is no surprise to this agent whom have been told the very same thing for the last 10 years.  The JD Powers study also shows overall agency represented  homeowners insurance companies are getting  high marks from consumers on claims handling despite the amount of claims these last two years.

The study measured satisfaction levels among insurance buyers as they experience claims for the damages that are covered by their homeowners insurance policies. The study indicated five factors which are the financial settlement, estimation process, notice of loss, service interaction, and the overall repair process. The study also shows how diligent homeowners insurance companies are in responding to the needs of their policyholders. In addition, nearly 70% of homeowners are filing their claims through direct channels or directly to the insurance carrier.  The remaining 30 percent file their homeowners insurance claims through their independent agent.  Most important,  72 percent of those who filed claims through agents said that the agents were helpful. 56 % of those filed claims directly said that the carriers call center representatives were helpful but they wish they had a local advocate to help them with their claim.


Michael E. Dortch
President &  Senior Agent
Corporate Home Office
618 South Broad Street
Lansdale, Pennsylvania  19446
(800) 807-0762  ext. 206