Although the agents of has been serving the auto insurance buying public since 1992; we became licensed and contracted with a numerous Property & Casualty Insurance Carriers in the Delaware starting in early 1995. In those early days, Delaware drivers were experiencing the same difficulty finding reasonably priced auto insurance as their neighbors in both Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland.  Most Delaware drivers and car owners whom were considered “Preferred Insureds” had little to no problem finding fairly priced auto insurance policies.

If you were considered Non-Standard or High Risk, you were merely relegated to the only source of auto insurance available to you and your family – the Assigned Risk Pool.  Assigned Risk as it’s referred to by both consumers and agents a-like, is a horrible place to be if your state driver record is not clean. You are merely held captive by a program to which there is no escape until the Plan Administrator deams you worthy of a “Take-Out Letter.  Once your record  is clear of all infractions and you have been in the Assigned Risk Pool for three years, you will receive a letter providing you authorization to be accepted by a preferred auto insurance carrier like Allstate, Nationwide, State Farm and Travelers.

In the early 1995, Mike Dortch and his agents entered the State of Delaware introducing revolutionary new carriers like Progressive and American Independent Insurance Company. Dortch and his agents had the authority to immediately remove you from Assigned Risk Plan as cuts your rates as much as 70%.

16 years later, we are still doing the same thing. represents the nation’s top 30 auto insurance carriers.  Regardless is you Delaware State Drving Record is perfect or impaired; we have 3 dozen auto and Homeowners insurance carriers to fit you and your family’s needs.

Following is an explanation of car insurance requirements under Delaware State Law:

1. Bodily Injury Protection – $15,000/$30,000

Delaware State Flag

Delaware State Flag

If you are involved in an Auto Accident and you are responsible for the injury or death of another person; your insurance company will pay for the claim. If your policy only has minimum coverage, your insurance company will pay the limit of the policy purchased:

  • Up to $15,000 to one person involved in a single accident
  • Up to $30,000 to all people involved in a single accident, with no more than $15,000 to any one person

2. Property Damage – $10,000

If you are responsible for damages to another person’s property and have minimum coverage, your insurance company will pay:

  • Up to $10,000 to a person involved in a single accident

3. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – $15,000/$30,000

Whether you are responsible for the accident or not, your insurance company will pay for the medical expenses and loss of wages for you and your passengers. If you have minimum coverage, your company will pay:

  • Up to $15,000 to any one person involved in a single accident
  • Up to $30,000 to all people involved in a single accident, with no more than $15,000 to any one person

Also included in PIP coverage is up to $5,000 for funeral expenses.

As mentioned above; although the Delaware State, these minimum amounts are relatively low and you may wish to purchase additional coverage to protect yourself and your assets from claims of higher amounts. If you raise your coverage, your cost will increase.

Don’t drive without Auto Insurance Coverage in Delaware: Uninsured drivers are breaking the law and cost other Delaware drivers and the state money in higher insurance premiums and taxes. Vehicles in the State of Delaware are randomly checked to see if they have auto insurance coverage.

Insurance carriers will notify the Delaware State Department of Transportation if a Auto Insurance Policy is dropped. Driving without Car Insurance in Delaware can cost you a substantial fine, your license plate and or your driver’s license suspended.

Optional Auto Insurance Coverages in the State of Delaware

These auto insurance coverages are not required by Delaware State law in Delaware. However, if you have an auto loan, your bank or leasing company will require both collision and comprehensive coverage on the encumbered car, truck or SUV.

Collision Coverage:  pays for physical damage to your car as the result of your vehicle hitting another object, such as a tree, telephone pole or another car. Auto Collision coverage is based on the value of your car and can be very costly depending on the type and age of the car.

Comprehensive Coverage:  pays for physical damage to your car from almost all other causes besides an accident, including fire, severe weather, vandalism, flood and theft. Comprehensive coverage also will cover broken glass, such as windshield damage. This coverage is referred to as Comp or Fire and Theft.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage: pays if your loss is as a result of a driver who does not have any auto insurance Coverage. It also pays if you are a victim of a hit-and-run driver. Bottom line, this type of auto insurance coverage takes the place of the auto insurance that the other driver should have been paying for but didn’t.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage: also has it’s own set of policy limits. When you are involved in an car accident, and the accident is not your fault, the at fault driver should have enough auto insurance coverage to cover your claim. If the at fault driver does have auto insurance, just not enough, your Underinsured Auto Insurance coverage will pay the balance.

Towing and Labor Coverage: pays the cost of towing your car to the repair shop subject to the limit of your policy. Premiums for this coverage are very inexpensive.

Rental Reimbursement Coverage:  pays the cost to rent a car after an accident, subject to the policy’s terms. The premium will vary from insurer to insurer.

If you are coming up for renewal and your carrier continues to increase your auto insurance premium or you know you are paying more than you need to; call the friendly folks at (800) 807-0762